Monday, May 12, 2008

Time for a rest??


1st round of the TropheƩ de Provence yesterday with the Cezanne Ste. Victoire down near Aix en Provence. 158km, 2500m of ascent on the same roads as my best result ever in Pourrieres only 6 weeks ago.



So, preparations going well, feeling good after a steady week (I did a sub 1h30m on Mont Ventoux this week) I ate well Saturday night, woke to a magnificent sunrise over Mont Ste. Victoire, good brecky Sunday morning, rode down to the start at the Stade George Carcasonne in Aix - everything perfect.
I had a good dossard number too - number 22 - on the front row. Many familiar faces, mainly from the front bunch in the Monts du Vaucles 3 weeks ago.
So off we went, a nice steady 9km out of Aix then the first easy climb up to St Antonin in the shadow of the Ste Victore.
After 500m I was out the back like a Champagne cork. Over the top I managed to get in with the a second bunch which had formed. We chased back on then up through the village of Pourrieres. Then on the Puits du Rians I'm out the back again. Chased back on then approaching the Grand Sambuc - out again. I Jumped on the back of the 3rd peleton and even that was too fast so I rode steadily back to Aix with my tail between my legs. What a horrible day to spend in such beautiful scenic counrtyside!!
Back to the drawing board with 2 weeks steady riding. Less than a month from La Ventoux Beaumes de Venise.

No comments: